Wednesday, March 18, 2009

‘TIS DARWINISM AT ITS BEST

“Unaccustomed to the pleasures of a good night sleep, I had practically turned into a nocturnal specie, that’s when I decided to be a Cabby, that’s how I adapted to the situation…”

As bizarre as it sounds, Bibek Rao, 23 years old a quality auditor at Evalueserve , was layed off like many of his colleagues, but he decided to fight with the situation instead of being docile and accepting what was thrown at him. He immediately grabbed the vacancy of a cabby in his firm. Now his daily schedule includes picking up and dropping people from Gurgaon suburbs, “it’s an easy task I have been living here for quite a while now; I am quite familiar with the routes.” Says Bibek flippantly. At a time when there are people becoming suicidal, consulting shrinks or are are financially challenged. Bibek is my hero as he emerged out of the state of self pity, and chose to take things under his control.

“I decided to look at the brighter side of things; having lost on the fun guys my age have thanks to the busy schedule I’m treating the current situation as a break from that schedule. I am actually doing what I love to do- I get to drive late in the night on the Delhi roads; I get to make friends with my colleagues. I am utilizing this time to re-instigate some lost values and identify my strengths so that I can play on them as and when the need arises”

Also coming down from a cushy job and a plump pay packet, to a dreary driver’s job with barely enough to lay meal on the table of his family, Bibek each day realizes his loss and in turn gets grittier to work hard to make the ends meet. He looks over worked and undernourished.

There are some upcoming opportunities in other firms, but he refuses to consider them, he wants to start where he left. Perhaps not from the same post. What keeps him motivated to do his current job? “The fact that at least I’m close to my workplace. Each day after dropping my colleagues in the front porch, I go and sit in the concierge and read the newspapers. I wait for my turn to climb up to the 12th floor to my desk; everyday I wait for the elevator to open…”

1 comment:

  1. rly amazing..
    the guy's definitely got a point there...
    perhaps the very reason u like it is cuz he has't compromised on his 'libre' , right?

    ReplyDelete